As a cat owner, it is normal for you to check on your cat’s nutrition and diet. This includes knowing what food your cat should take throughout the day. And this prompts you to learn, what do cats like to eat for breakfast?
Just like humans, cats need a healthy breakfast. The foods most likely safe for cats are homemade boiled vegetables, cooked fish, eggs, whole grains, or rice and meat combination.
Table of Contents
- Should I Feed My Cat Breakfast?
- What Should You Be Feeding Your Cat for Breakfast?
- Are Oats Good for Cats as Breakfast?
- Do Cats Like Scrambled Eggs?
- What Do Kitty Cats Like to Eat for Breakfast?
- Should I Feed My Cat Wet Food or Dry Food for Breakfast?
- What Human Foods Can Kittens Eat?
- What Fruits Can Cats Eat?
- How Much to Feed a Cat at Breakfast?
- Foods to Avoid for Cats
Should I Feed My Cat Breakfast?
Eating at least two meals with no more than 12 hours intervals each day is a standard eating routine for cats. Most cat owners follow this routine by making their cats eat breakfast and dinner daily.
Cat eating breakfast is highly recommended to do. It is because when a cat eats breakfast at a specified time in the morning, it helps them fill their stomach early in the day. It causes cats to do various activities without feeling hungry throughout the day.
What Should You Be Feeding Your Cat for Breakfast?
Aside from the built-in nutritious wet food cats like, you can also offer them the following homemade cat food that will be beneficial for your cat’s health:
- Cooked fish
- Whole grains (oats, brown rice, barley, etc.)
- Cooked vegetables
- Rice and meat
- Boiled or scrambled eggs
- A tiny portion of cheese (for cats that can handle dairy food)
- Low-carb and nutritious cat food
Are Oats Good for Cats as Breakfast?
Yes. Usually, oats are safe for cats to eat and are one of the diet foods for cats. It also contains many proteins per calorie that are favorable for the well-being of cats.
You can prepare oats for your cat by mixing them with water only and feeding them at breakfast. However, during the day, your cat should not consume oats as their primary food but as a treat.
Do Cats Like Scrambled Eggs?
The simple answer is yes. You can serve your cat scrambled eggs free of salt or spices in the morning.
Eggs give your cat protein and fat. So, it is also advisable to monitor the intake of eggs by your cat because it might increase the risk of obesity due to fat.
What Do Kitty Cats Like to Eat for Breakfast?
Your kitten can eat the same breakfast that you serve to an adult cat, provided that you tear the food into tiny pieces for your kitten to munch. You might also consider giving them milk, particularly if drinking milk is needed based on the cat’s age.
Should I Feed My Cat Wet Food or Dry Food for Breakfast?
It depends on you as a cat owner.
- Giving cats dry food as breakfast is good because dry food provides nutrients that your cat needs in the body. Although since it is dry food, it does not supplement their hydration.
So, you are responsible for ensuring that your cat gets enough water and is hydrated. Apart from that, dry food is more convenient than wet food and benefits their teeth.
- On the contrary, cat wet food supplies the necessary nourishment that a cat needs, including water that will make them hydrated for the rest of the day. That is the advantage of feeding cats wet food early in the morning.
It also aids those cats that have a urinary tract infection since they will maintain needed water in their bodies.
Hence, whether you feed them wet food or dry food for breakfast, it is your choice—each of them is excellent for the health of cats.
What Human Foods Can Kittens Eat?
You might be busy in the morning and want your kitten to have the same meal as you, saving the preparation time.
In that case, here’re some good options for you to cook next time:
- Either cooked or boiled, vegetables are great for your cat. It contains lots of nutrients, water, and fiber that are good for their health.
- It is nutrient-dense and could help cats that have digestive problems. However, it can only be consumed by cats as treats or snacks.
- It is best to be cautious when you feed your cat a dairy product because your cat might not be lactose tolerant. However, if you consult with a veterinarian and your cat is good at eating dairy products, you can give them cheese or yogurt.
- It is advisable not to give your cat raw meat but rather a cooked one. Meats provide protein which will also be helpful for your cat’s diet.
- This gives fat and protein. Thus, it is inadvisable to let your cat eat eggs every day. It is best to serve only the egg white to your cat to reduce the likelihood of obesity. It is because egg yolks give more fat, likely increasing their fat.
- As everyone knows, fish like salmon and mackerel comprise omega-3 and fatty acids that make them healthy for your cat to consume.
What Fruits Can Cats Eat?
After breakfast, if you want to feed them some fruit, it’s okay.
Cats can eat fruits as long as it is into pieces and can be easily digestible by your cat. Fruits that cats could eat include the following:
- Seedless watermelon
How Much to Feed a Cat at Breakfast?
The right amount of food to feed cats depends on their size, diet plan, age, or weight. Nevertheless, an approximate 250 grams of cat meal is adequate to solve their hunger.
In addition, you can consult your cat’s nutritious diet plan with a trusted veterinarian or refer to the amount of food you will give your cat based on the cat food chart.
Foods to Avoid for Cats
If there are safe human foods for your feline friend, there are also foods they need not consume mainly:
- bread dough
- raw meat
- onion and garlic
Therefore, you might be having breakfast when your cat suddenly ate the scrambled egg sitting on your plate. It causes you to question in your mind, “what do cats like to eat for breakfast?”.
The main answer to the question is wet food like the well-known, fancy feast cat food. However, cat owners could also provide homemade cat food and specific human food so long as it will not be consumed by their cats daily. Hence, having a regular nutrition diet and knowing which food is safe for cats is crucial to a cat’s well-being.